Thursday 12 May 2016

Welcome!

Image via Instagram (@trishathompsonadams)

Hello!

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my new brainchild that is the Brain, Mind & Body blog. This is just a quick post to say hello and to introduce myself, and a little of the inspiration behind BM&B.

My name is Cynthia and I’m a clinical neuropsychology registrar currently working in clinical research into Frontotemporal dementia and related disorders (among other things). I live in Sydney with my partner, but Melbourne has my heart and will always be ‘home’ for me.

So why blog?

There are a couple of reasons I decided to start this blog, the first of which is my revived love of writing. Throughout university and since graduating, the only writing I’ve been required to do has been ‘scientifically’ oriented, which imposes certain restrictions on creativity and flair. Whilst scientific writing obviously has its place in academic journals, theses and the like, it doesn’t flow quite as freely, nor is it quite as accessible for everyone.

I was recently lucky enough to write an article for The Conversation (I’ve since posted it here), who are an online source of news and reviews written by those in the research community delivered in plain language direct to the public. Their byline is “academic rigour, journalistic flair”. It wasn’t until I sat down to write the article that my enjoyment of writing in this style was properly realised.

The second reason for this blog is my love and passion for all things brain. Having dedicated my studies and career so far to the inner and outer workings of the brain, I’m yet to learn something about it that doesn’t interest and inspire me. The mind and body are inherently and reciprocally connected to the brain; you can’t have one without the other. It’s this reciprocal relationship between the three that inspired me to combine my knowledge and passion for writing and start communicating what I know.

Image via Pinterest

So much of what is discovered via research is hidden away in academic and scientific journals, making it difficult to access for anyone other than those in an academic institution. I want this blog to serve as a gateway, from research to practice, and from science to real-life knowledge and application of what is known about the brain, mind and body.

What will you find here?

Variety! From memory, sleep, exercise, food and brain health, to neuroplasticity, mindfulness, hardwiring happiness, brain training, dementia, to the effects of depression, anxiety and stress on the brain and body; the possibilities are endless! My goal is to translate this knowledge into meaningful real-world application to promote healthy brains, minds and bodies.

So stay tuned, I plan on making my way through a whole range of different and diverse topics that I hope will be relevant to all of you.

I hope this little intro has been helpful, and that it has given you some insight into who I am, and what makes me tick. Please feel free to leave questions, comments and thoughts on any or all of the topics I touch on.

Happy discovering!

Cynthia xx


P.S. Creating this blog was in part inspired by a friend and colleague who gave me the encouragement I needed to follow the ‘YESes’ and do something that excites me. She has created a phenomenal mind, body, soul coaching business and you can find her website here.

Special mention also goes to another friend, colleague and fellow researcher whose own experience of having a blog inspired me to start my own. I love reading her posts, and you can find her blog over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment